Jitterbit/Thomas Nelson ETL Case Study

In today’s complex technology environment, having the right ETL (Extract Transform Load) tool is a top priority for many enterprises. In the past, my team has built its own ETL tools. While they have worked well for us, maintenance and support in a rapidly changing world has become somewhat of a nightmare. Read more of this post

Mac OS X 10.6 Macbook Pro MySQL Issue Resolved

Recently I’ve experienced problems while attempting to running MySQL on OS X 10.6. Whenever I tried to connect to a MySQL database, I ran into the infamous “Error 2002 can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket…” I reinstalled MySQL, but that didn’t fix the problem. I searched the web for a solution, tried some that I found and still had the issue. Finally, I downloaded the latest beta release (as of the time of this post): 5.4 and installed it. This resolved the connection problem. However, I still have to migrate my databases from 5.1.

JDatastore: A Small Footprint Java Database

My DBA, Tim Caylor, recently started a blog about his DBA experiences called The Trenches. If you’re interested in a small footprint pure Java SQL database take a look at his post on JDatastore.

Java Quick Tip of the Day: Selecting Current TimeStamp for DB2

There are times when you may want multiple programs to retrieve a current timestamp from a central location. This can be accomplished by selecting the timestamp from a database server. To return the current timestamp from DB2 execute the following query:


     ResultSet rs;
     rs = stmt.executeQuery("select distinct(current timestamp)
          from sysibm.sysdummy1");
     rs.next();
     java.util.Date today = rs.getTimestamp(1);

Notice that I used a table called “sysibm.sysdummy1”. Sysdummy1 is a special purpose table for uses such as this one. Additionally, you can use any db2 table that you have access to.

Java Quick Tip Of the Day: Character Encoding and ResultSets

We recently ran into a problem where a Java program running on our IBM enterprise server was unable to properly display strings returned from a Microsoft SQL Server table. The problem was due to character encoding. Because of the SQL Server table definition, the JDBC driver was not translating the ASCII values in the string returned from a ResultSet.getString() method to EBCDIC.

The solution. Explicitly define the encoding by casting the returned value of a ResultSet.getBytes() into a String (see below).

String outStr =  new String(rs.getBytes(1),"ISO-8859-1");
%d bloggers like this: